JP9102 Engineering Manager
Full Time | North Sydney, Sydney NSW
Av-Comm is a 42-year-old family run company. We design, manufacture, and install optical and RF ground station terminals in support of Space and Defence customers around the world. Our mission is to create space technology solutions to connect the world and beyond. We do this whilst supporting our staff and maintaining a positive company culture.
Over the last twelve months Av-Comm has grown at an exponential rate, and over the next 12 months, will continue to grow due to its involvement in Australian Defence programs. Thus, the company is looking to fill a range of positions to cover the scope of work and opportunities that lay ahead.
About the Role
We are seeking an Engineering Manager for JP9102 who will assist with the establishment of the program engineering management system (EMS). This involves managing, monitoring, and controlling the engineering processes, practice, and work, performed by the JP9102 engineering and technical team.
Key Skills required:
Leadership – good leadership skills by way of patience, active listening, mentorship skills and the capacity to provide constructive feedback.
Analytical Skills – be able to obtain data from a variety of sources and evaluate it to arrive at a logical conclusion. Will be able to provide guidance on estimating time to key engineering tasks.
Communication – have great verbal communications skills. Must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner especially when addressing complex subjects with others who do not have a technical background.
- Delegated to sign Design Certificates for complex systems.
- Responsible for ensuring the engineering activities conform to the Systems Engineering process.
- Responsible for preparing the engineering team to present design decisions, design architectures and associated design artefacts that align to contracted system requirements.
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring the design process.
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring design risk.
- Responsible for controlling the verification and validation phase of a complex system.
- Responsible for the management of the design configuration and has experience in the processes associated with configuration management, such as establishing a Functional Baselines, Allocated Baselines and Product Baselines.
Successful candidate will be required to:
- Oversee the engineering and technical staff allocated to the program.
- Mentor and develop the engineering and technical team to perform as a cohesive team.
- Represent Av-Comm at major design and other program meetings and reviews that require engagement with senior members of other companies and government.
- Baseline Security clearance from AGSVA.
Required skills and qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree (at a minimum) in Engineering.
- A Chartered status and NER Registration as a Professional Engineer is also mandatory.
- ITAR compliance is compulsory.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in product development – mechanical and electrical or systems in a similar role.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading and mentoring a multi-disciplinary engineering team, ideally in defence, or project engineering role.
- Proven ability to drive complex technical programs.
- A hands-on leader regarding design, building, testing, delivering, etc.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Highly developed written and verbal English skills.